Urban Trekking

Urban Trekking is a walk through the ancient streets of the village of Montaione. At a slow pace, following our itinerary, you will discover the historical places, the lesser known corners and the curiosities of an hamlet with more than a thousand years of history.

It is possible to follow the Urban Trekking route on the Map of Montaione
Edicola Via Da Filicaja


The Lady in Viale da Filicaja

This tabernacle is located at the beginning of Viale Da Filicaia, built by Lelio Cambi with the adjacent house at the end of the nineteenth century, and is dedicated to the Filicaja, as evidenced by the stone coat of arms on the upper part. A beautiful protective grate made by Ernesto Cecconi closes it. The fresco is the work of an Australian who was in Montaione during the last World War and represents a Madonna and Child, San Vivaldo and San Regolo. The fresco was recently restored by Silvia Leoncini.

Monumento ai caduti


Il Monumento ai Caduti

Located in one of the most beautiful viewpoints of Montaione - a terrace (also called "belvedere") overlooking the breathtaking panorama of the Valdelsa hills and from which on clear days you can admire an immense landscape that ranges from the Apuan Alps passing for Monte Morello (the mountain overlooking Florence) to Pratomagno -, the War Memorial represents the historical memory in honor of the soldiers who died in the First World War.

Today the place where the War Memorial stands is a pleasant and well-kept garden with benches, where in the shade of the trees, both the Montaionesi and the many tourists love to go to shelter from the summer heat and to admire the panorama that can be seen looking out from this terrace: for this reason, in fact, a better place could not have been chosen to erect this monument.

The monument consists of a statue representing a soldier on sentry in winter clothing, while on the pedestal there is written:


"To the braves who fell gloriously while claiming their homeland and the sacred borders signed by God and nature A. D. III. V. MCMXXV"

Further down, a plaque recalls the company that built it: F. De Ranieri & Figlio Scultori Pietrasanta.

At the corners of the monument in a vertical position there are 4 bombs that support a fence made with a chain.
Every year, on April 25th, during the celebrations for the liberation of Italy from the Nazi-Fascist occupation, at the War Memorial, a laurel wreath is laid by the Mayor of Montaione in memory of the fallen in war.

Old tower


Old tower

This building is what remains of one of the 11 ancient medieval towers that were located along the walls of the Castle of Montaione.

Via Chiarenti


Via Chiarenti (Via dei Vetrai)

Also known as "Via dei Vetrai" (Glassmasters street) because once there was a glass furnace as well as a ceramic furnace. In the 13th century, Montaione has been one of the first municipalities in Tuscany where the art of glass was born.
While fragments of plates, jugs and vases were found from the ceramic furnace, no fragments were found from the glass furnace as they were always recycled.

However, according to some historical documents, these furnaces were located where today the I'Ciampa restaurant and the Vecchio Mulino hotel are located.

Today the road is headed to Francesco Chiarenti, an illustrious person from Montaione born in 1766, who, after graduating in medicine, formulated an interesting theory on lymphatic vessels. However, his passion for agriculture led him to study cultivations and new methods to make the hilly terrain more productive.

Porta Fiorentina


Porta Fiorentina

From Piazza Cavour entering the historic center along Via Roma, you cross the place where once stood the Porta Grande or Fiorentina who has been unfortunately destroyed during the Second World War.

Image courtesy: Rino Salvestrini "Montaione e la sua storia"
Arc of the Ammannati


Arc of the Ammannati

Located on Via Ammannati, between Via Roma and Via Cresci, this arch - also known as the "arch of the parish priest" because it is adjacent to the priest's house (or parish priest) - is dedicated to the famous architect Bartolomeo Ammannati, who, despite not having built the arch, it was probably made according to his design. Popular tradition also attributes the Church of San Regolo to a drawing by Bartolomeo Ammannati.

Repubblic's square


Repubblic's square

Even today it represents the heart of the historic center, that is the main square of the town where the Church of San Regolo faces as well as some shops and, a little further, the Palazzo Pretorio.
In ancient times it was called Piazza Vittorio Emanuele and had a well in the center (removed in 1933) for collecting rainwater.

The Madonna in the Vicolo della RosaFranciscan cartouche


The Madonna in the Vicolo della Rosa and the Franciscan cartouche

A few steps from the "Permanent exhibition of ancient crafts", and more precisely in the Vicolo della Rosa, there is a ceramic representing the Madonna and Child also called the "Madonna of the miracle".

According to some testimonies, during a bombing of the Second World War which took place in a town between Capraia and Lastra a Signa, the inhabitants of a building almost completely destroyed by the bombs were miraculously unharmed.

Perhaps by pure combination or thanks to a miracle, only the section of the wall remained standing on the bombed building on which the sacred image of this Madonna and Child was set.

The precious ceramic was carefully removed from the wall and brought by Mr. Corti Guido to his ceramic factory in Capraia to have it restored.

The valid ceramist, with great skill made the cast, and it is thanks to this shrewdness that we can still admire a beautiful copy of this prestigious image today.

Next to the ceramic of the Madonna and Child, there is a reproduction made in "galestro" (a clayey schist), of a Franciscan cartouche or "Chartula" with a copper "Tau" in the center and with the original prayer that St. Francis delivered to Brother Leo, who always wore it on his heart until his death.

Sdrucciolo del Municipio


Sdrucciolo del Municipio

It is so called because in Tuscan slang "sdrucciolo" means "slide", which is a downhill road. It was once also called "sdrucciolo delle Monache" because it led to the convent which today houses the head offices of the municipality of Montaione.
Adjacent to the municipal building you can visit the small Church of Saints Giuseppe and Lucia.

Porta Pisana


Porta Pisana

Also known as Porta Piccina or Pisana, it faces north-west towards Pisa. Of medieval construction it was destroyed during the Second World War. Today, in place of the Porta Pisana there is Piazza Garibaldi and a beautiful fountain.

Image courtesy: Rino Salvestrini "Montaione e la sua storia"
Via Tegoliccio


Via Tegoliccio

It is a narrow street between the buildings of the historic center that runs from Via del Giglio to Piazza della Concordia. It is so called because in the medieval period there was a tile furnace.

Palazzo Mannaioni


Palazzo Mannaioni

Elegant building dating back to the sixteenth century and belonged to the Mannaioni, a noble family of Florentine notaries who moved to Montaione, where they had for over a century (from 1568 to 1722) the task of treasurers, that is, to collect taxes.
Over time, the building has undergone several changes and renovations, and today it host an hotel.

History of Montaione

The Castle of Montaione

Montaione still maintains its characteristic oval castle shape on top of a hill from which you can enjoy a beautiful view.

The Praetorian Palace

Located in Via Cresci in the historical center of Montaione, the Praetorian Palace is a prestigious three-story building dating back to 1257.

The art of glass-making

The tradition of glassmaking in Tuscany dates back to the medieval period. In the territory of Montaione, a document dating back to 1279, attests the presence of furnaces for the manufacture of glasses and glassware.

The "Balaena Montalionis"

These are the remains of a whale skeleton found near Castelfalfi