The Castle of Montaione
As shown in an illustration of 1700, the plant of the castle of Montaione is surrounded by solid walls and adorned with 11 towers, with the typical medieval form that resembles that of the Roman camps, the middle street and the central square.
The two long side streets, in addition to two doors: Porta Grande or Fiorentina and Porta Piccina or Pisana, have been destroyed during World War II.
At the center of the castle, in the square (now Piazza della Repubblica) there was the Church and the Palazzo Pretorio, and in the middle there was the clock tower which also served as a bell tower. Today it is still possible to admire the Church of San Regolo with its bell tower (restored in the late 1700s) and the Palazzo Pretorio dating back to the 15th century on whose facade hung the coat of arms of the Tuscan families who administered Montaione in the past .
Walking through the streets of the old town you can see how the shops still have a window at the entrance door. This is a feature that dates back to the 14th century artisanal workshops when the window was used to expose the goods or to give more light.
For many years Montaione remained protected within the circle of its walls, but during World War II a huge part of the town was destroyed.
With the reconstruction of the post-war period, the urban layout of the village changed as it is nowadays. Some ruins of ancient walls can be seen along the most exterior roads of the village, while others are embedded in some buildings.