Located in Via Cresci in the historic center of Montaione, the Palazzo Pretorio is a prestigious three-storey building whose origins date back to 1257.
The Palazzo Pretorio represented the building in which the governor resided, who usually belonged to a noble family, and from which he administered the territory.
Dwelling of many noble Tuscan families including Michele di Giovanni De ‘Medici in 1370, it became a place of residence of the Prince of Tuscany, Pietro Leopoldo. Until 1847 the Palace was the residence of the Municipal Magistrate and in 1848 it housed the District Court.
For this reason, its external façade still shows a series of coats of arms in stone and ceramics on which you can still read the names of the noble Tuscan families (such as those of the Davanzati, Cateni, Aldighiero and Guardini) who succeeded one another the government of Montaione for about four centuries.
In recent times, after the unification of Italy, the Palace became the headquarters of the Post Office and the Telegraph, where on the first floor there was the residence of the manager of the post office, while the second floor was destined for the archive. After an expansion of the Post Office in 1961, the upper floors were first assigned to the Professional Start-up school and then to the Lower Middle School.
Later in 1971 the post office and the school were moved and the Palazzo Pretorio became the seat of the Biblioteca Comunale, while the second floor was used for the Historical Archive.
Today it houses inside the Civic Museum and the Tourist Information Office.