History of Montaione

In the territory of Montaione the imprint of Etruscan and Roman heritage is confirmed by the archaeological findings of necropolis and furnaces near Poggio all'Aglione, Bellafonte, Iano and Castelfalfi - the first news about Montaione are found in a document of 981 where it is quoted as "Montacunni".

Since the area was under the jurisdiction of the Longobardic Allone, Lord of Lucca, the name was corrected in "Mons Allonis" and then in Montaione.

After the barbarian invasions new settlements were built around the old ruins, especially in the places that offered more security, such as Paterno, Marrante, Sala and later in the Montaione Castle, with its many towers surrounded by solid walls.

In a document of 1118, the ancient Pieve di San Regolo is mentioned, referring to a small church outside the walls of Montaione, to which it occurred the one located in the historical center, probably dating back to a period between the XIII and the XIV century.

District from 1257, Montaione was involved in the wars between San Gimignano, Volterra and San Miniato, and it gravitated predominantly in the orbit of Florence to which it subdued in 1369.

Since 1220, the craftsmen in Montaione practiced the art of glass-making, which was later spread throughout Valdelsa. In the eighteenth century a ban of the Grand Duke of Tuscany ordered Montaione's glassmasters to "teach art" only to its fellow citizens.

In 1880, at the time of its greatest expansion, the municipality of Montaione extended to an area of  approximately 187 sq km and a population of over 9000 inhabitants.

Like the other villages in the Tuscan countryside, for many years Montaione remained protected within the circle of its walls; only after World War II, which had sown misery and destruction, its urban layout was rebuilt and modified.

The territory of the municipality of Montaione maintained for centuries a purely rural economy and, despite the industrialization of the valley which took away much labour from the countryside, the economy of Montaione has undergone a new positive impetus from  tourism in recent decades.

Urban Trekking in Montaione

Urban Trekking

Urban Trekking is a walk through the ancient streets of the village of Montaione. At a slow pace, following our itinerary, you will discover the historical places, the lesser known corners and the curiosities of an hamlet with more than a thousand years of history.

History of Montaione

The Castle of Montaione

Montaione still maintains its characteristic oval castle shape on top of a hill from which you can enjoy a beautiful view.

The Praetorian Palace

Located in Via Cresci in the historical center of Montaione, the Praetorian Palace is a prestigious three-story building dating back to 1257.

The art of glass-making

The tradition of glassmaking in Tuscany dates back to the medieval period. In the territory of Montaione, a document dating back to 1279, attests the presence of furnaces for the manufacture of glasses and glassware.

The "Balaena Montalionis"

These are the remains of a whale skeleton found near Castelfalfi